About this blog

The original intention of this blog was to help promote my handcrafted jewelry and beading supplies. However, I believe I lead an interesting life (which Dave gets a lot of credit for), so you will often find ramblings about things other than beads and jewelry! Hope you enjoy reading about it as much as I enjoy living it!!!

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Shine Fights - MMA Event

Dave and I are HUGE fans of mixed martial arts (i.e., ultimate fighting, cage fighting, etc). We watch almost all of the UFC events on pay-per-view and WEC events on Versus. We would love to attend a live event, but it in our opinion, it's not really worth it unless you are within the first 10 rows of the cage. Unfortunately, those tickets are very pricey (starting at $500 to well into the thousands!) and that doesn't include airfare and hotel. We attended our first live event last December at the UCF Arena in Orlando. I found out about the event weeks after the tickets had been on sale and wasn't able to get tickets anywhere near the cage. I really wanted to attend a live event, and I was able to find seats in the first row of the first level off the floor. They were pretty cheap ($40) and since we wouldn't need a hotel we decided what the heck! Even if the seats sucked, we hadn't spent that much money and we would have a better idea for the next event. This event was put on by Cage Warriors and it was an excellent production. Our seats were pretty good, too. The energy in the air at a live event is incredible...we were definitely hooked. Hence, it then became my task to find more live events that we could attend. Unfortunately, because of the geography of the state of Florida (long and narrow) and the fact that we live in the southern part, its hard to find events that are within a two hour drive. Most productions don't want to hold events in the southern part of the state because it's harder to draw a large crowd. That actually goes for all kinds of events like horse shows, concerts, etc. Finally in June of this year I happened upon an event that was taking place in Miami. Now, Miami is only about an hour and a half drive, but neither Dave or I particularly care to go Dade county (most of it has to do with language...in that part of the state they seem to have forgotten that English is the language spoken in America). But we made an exception because I was able to score cageside seats at a fairly reasonable price! I was so excited...I had waited for this opportunity for so long. Have I mentioned that we are really BIG fans?! This particular event was put on by Shine Fights and while they need to work on some of the details (they started 45 minutes late, the boxes the camera guys stood on were way too big...blocked some of our view, and we had one of their productions guys stand up in front of us for the entire first fight) it was a pretty good event for only their second major production. By the way, I have sent the head guy an e-mail with my suggestions (I watch a lot of these events so I consider myself to be very will informed and my opinions educated!!!). They actually pulled in some pretty big name fighters...guys who had previously fought in the UFC or WEC but whose contracts had been dropped do to a loss. There were also a lot of big names (as far as in the MMA world) in the crowd and corners of the fighters. Specifically Cole Miller who has fought in both the WEC and UFC was there supporting his brother, Micah, Mike Brown, currently the WEC Featherweight champion was there supporting one of his fighters out of the American Top Team gym, and coach Fiore from Matt Hughes H.I.T squad was there supporting one of his guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment