About this blog

The original intention of this blog was to help promote my handcrafted jewelry and beading supplies. However, I believe I lead an interesting life (which Dave gets a lot of credit for), so you will often find ramblings about things other than beads and jewelry! Hope you enjoy reading about it as much as I enjoy living it!!!

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Chili Recipe

I have lots of recipes in my drawer. All of them are the creations of other people that have been downloaded from the internet or torn out of magazines. All of them but one...all but this chili recipe. And I am very proud of it *patting self on back*. And the big plus is Dave loves it (although he did wrinkle his forehead the first time I told him I was trying to make chili). It's a very hearty meal and is great when the temperatures start to dip (for me, that means below 70 degrees...my blood thinned out shortly after moving to Florida from New York).

Chili
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped*
3 teaspoons minced garlic in oil*
3 lbs beef for stew or stir fry steak cut in bite size pieces
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons chili powder*
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper*
4 cups beef broth
2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained
2 can diced tomatoes, undrained

Heat the oil in a large pot. Stir in the onions and garlic and cook until they are soft. Add the beef and salt and cook until the meat loses its pink color. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Add the beef broth, kidney beans and diced tomatoes and simmer, partially covered, for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

I like to put shredded cheddar cheese in the bottom of my bowl, then put in the chili and mix it all up. Dave just likes to add saltine crackers.

*These ingredients can be adjusted to your own taste.


4 comments:

  1. YAY! I love homemade chili! Can I do this in our crockpot then? We've tried recipes from the net, and they always turn our really bland. So this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried it in the crockpot, but I'm guessing you could. I'd probably transfer it to the crockpot after cooking the garlic and onions and browning the beef. You'll have to let me know how it turns out if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds very cozy!! Especially for the wet weather we've been having around here.
    Your jewelry is beautiful! I will have to check out your Etsy shop. I have recently become addicted to Etsy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! The first post the fat girl comes to is a recipe! Someone must love me, especially cause I LOVE chili! I will definitely have to try this. I also love your jewelry.

    ReplyDelete